Talented Valley boy commits to UCFV




The Comox Valley’s loss is the Fraser Valley’s gain.

Jay Valeri of the G.P. Vanier Towhees senior boys basketball team is joining the University College of the Fraser Valley Cascades next year. The Cascades play out of Abbotsford and are a Canadian Interuniversity School in the competitive West Coast League with SFU, UBC, UVic, Trinity Western and Thompson Rivers.

Cascades’ head coach Pat Lee is excited about Valeri joining his squad and sees a promising future for him. Details of his athletic scholarship are still being finalized, but Valeri is looking forward to the move. “I had interest from Malaspina, Camosun, Thompson River and Trinity. But I talked to Pat and it felt like that was the best place for me to attend and improve as a player,” he told the Record this week.

Vanier coach Larry Street notes the 6’,8” point/forward was a big contributor to the Towhee team that tied for 10th at this year’s provincial high school championships and part of the B.C. champion 3-on-3 team. “Jay was an all-star at three tournaments and was a key in breaking presses with his excellent ball-handling skills and court vision.” Street said Valeri loves to shoot the three, but also is very crafty around the key with lots of moves and excellent fakes.

Valeri feels his ability to control the ball off the dribble will be an asset to the Cascades. “I enjoy playing the small forward position, but I’ll play anywhere I’m needed. With my size I can go inside, and with my speed I can play outside. On defence I will be able to hold my ground against big men or shorter and quicker players.”

The Royston resident has enjoyed honing his skills through his school years. “I have played for a few great coaches,” he said. “I’d like to thank Kent Milburn very much for helping me in the middle school years. He was an awesome coach and an excellent person.

“My Grade 10 coach Craig Follis is one tough SOB,” Valeri laughed. “He helped me toughen up and it was fun playing with such a competitive coach. He was a fun teacher, too. Larry Street has helped me for many years, improving my game and helping me as a person.

“This man couldn’t possibly give any more time towards his players. He loves the game and will do anything to make them better, as long as they are willing to put in the time.” Valeri noted Street spends countless hours in all aspects of the game.

“Lastly, I’d like to thank my parents. Without their support I wouldn’t be much of a basketball player. It’s been great playing ball in the Valley and I can see that it is growing and becoming more competitive.”